Conserving & Enhancing the Village | Registered charity no.1206340

The Grange in 1927

In the November edition of Country Life in 1927 there was a full article featuring The Grange, after Sir George Lewis commissioned Sir Edward Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll to redesign the house and garden. Some traces of the beautiful Lutyens interior can still be seen in the panelling and the central staircase but much of it was lost in during the War and subsequent alterations when it became a Library. The Gardens were redesigned by his friend and close collaborator, Gertrude Jekyll, and at that time stretched east right on to the Downs