The Grange: Notable Residents
Sir George Lewis
1868 - 1927
The father of lawyer Sir George Lewis had built one of the most famous law practices in Victorian England and his son followed in his footsteps. However, he spent far less time in London and was very active in Rottingdean where he helped to save the windmill. At the Grange he commissioned Sir Edwin Lutyens to extend the house and to develop the garden.
The Lutyens wing
The Whiteway Centre and a primary school were built on parts of the garden but much of his work and that of Gertrude Jeykyll can be seen in the house and garden which exists today.
After Sir George’s tragic death in Switzerland in 1927 and burial in Rottingdean, the Grange passed first to his wife Marie then, in 1931, to his son who sold The Grange in 1936 to Dorothy Neville, wife of developer Charles Neville.