Whipping Post House

IMG_1833_edited.jpg



Whipping Post House



Named because of the stocks that used to be in front of it.


In 1736 Daniel Beard sold it to John Blunden. In 1758 it was acquired by John Balcomb, butcher. It was then owned by a succession of butchers including Captain Dunk, a well known smuggler. The cellars still exist.


It continued as a home and butcher’s shop until 1926 when the last butcher William Hilder took over the trade from his father (also William) He lived there until his death in 1956.

Click on any image below to view

Tel: 01273 301004

rottingdeanheritage.org.uk

Rottingdean Heritage, The Green, 
Rottingdean, East Sussex, BN2 7HA
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Web Design by

Crown Splash_logo_web_600px.jpg
 © 2021 Rottingdean Heritage