The White Horse
The White Horse...
...Or The White Horse and King of Prussia as it was once known.
The present Hotel was completely rebuilt in 1935, having stood unchanged for centuries. The Royal Oak and The White Horse opposite were coaching inns where horses could be changed along the coast road. The coast road ran to the south of the Hotel until cliff erosion took its toll.
The White Horse had stabling for up to forty horses. It later became the changing place for horse buses, motorbuses, even open top buses.
The Inn has seen many activities in its long history.
During the 18th Century these included cock-fighting, bull-baiting and auctions of salvage, not to mention smuggling and good views of sea battles with the French.
Gentler activities included cricket and even women’s races for which the prizes were smocks and stockings! In the 19th Century it was more up market, patronised by the Prince Regent and often used for civic dinners and events.
Click on any image below to view