The Iron House and Cliffe House

IMG_1833_edited.jpg

The Iron House and Cliffe House, which stood to the east, were both removed in the early thirties before they toppled over the cliff. The construction of the undercliff walk to Saltdean in the early thirties put a stop to the constant cliff falls.


The interior pictures show the interesting construction using internal timber to frame the doors and windows. Note the heavy wooden furniture and the drugget on the hall floor. The house is certainly not there now, so where was it and when was it erected?  


The Iron House stood on the clifftop as you enter Rottingdean from Brighton, just above The White Horse car park. It existed as early as 1895 and was there 1896 when the “Daddy long legs” railway visited the pier. 


The last record is in the 1931 and 1932 Voters lists which show that it was occupied by a Miss Violet Mary Clement.

Click on any image below to view

Tel: 01273 301004

rottingdeanheritage.org.uk

Rottingdean Heritage, The Green, 
Rottingdean, East Sussex, BN2 7HA
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Web Design by

Crown Splash_logo_web_600px.jpg
 © 2021 Rottingdean Heritage