The Dene

Social_edited.jpg
IMG_1833_edited.jpg


The Dene



The Dene was earlier known as Elm Villa and Elm Lodge when under various owners. The most famous of these was probably Lord St Vincent who had been one of Nelson’s Admirals. He ran a racing stable with stables backing onto the village pond. His horse Lord Clifden was beaten by a head in the 1863 Derby.


In 1877, the next owner of the house renamed it The Dene. He was Mr E. Ridsdale who was in charge of the Royal Mint which was then at the Tower of London. His daughter Lucy married Stanley Baldwin, future Prime Minister.


In the 1920’s and 1930’s The Dene became a school then in 1949 a popular hotel run by Charles Genillard. From 1976 it has been a retirement home for teachers.

Click on any image below to view

The Dene Hotel advert
The Dene Hotel advert

press to zoom
The Dene Hotel showing part of the village green
The Dene Hotel showing part of the village green

press to zoom
Another view of the Ridsdale family vault
Another view of the Ridsdale family vault

press to zoom
The Dene Hotel advert
The Dene Hotel advert

press to zoom
1/10