H M Wagner was appointed Vicar of Brighton in 1824. He built several churches from his own funds, including St Paul’s, West Street, where his son Arthur would start his career.
Arthur established an Anglican order of nuns who carried out social work among young single women in Brighton. The sisters moved to Buxted in 1878 until 1912 when Rottingdean Place was built for them. The architect was Frank Cawthorn who, in partnership with Edmund Scott had designed St Bartholomew’s Church, Brighton.
The Convent closed in 1976, by which time there were only seventeen sisters.
It became a language school until 1981 and in 1982 The Church of Scientology established a College.
The building then remained vacant until conversion to residential homes from 1987. The estate offers not only apartments and homes within its beautiful grounds but also an indoor swimming pool, gym and golf driving range.
Click on any image below to view