Reading Room

Social_edited.jpg
IMG_1833_edited.jpg



The Reading Room



Built in 1885 and opened in 1886.


The Reading Room is the building with the white painted fascia to the right of the bay window with the two notices attached to the wall.


Although called The Reading Room it soon became a place where working men could socialise over a game of dominoes rather than visit the ale house. Once a snooker table was installed there was room for little else and it eventually became a snooker hall.


The Trustees have always been the Vicar and Churchwardens but this does not mean that The Room belongs to St Margaret’s Church.


Some of the land on which it was built had disputed ownership and over the years more has been probably spent on legal matters than on building maintenance.

Click on any image below to view

Note the four old cottages where Stringers now stands

press to zoom

Mrs Stacey's sufragette rally in August 1912

press to zoom

Probably taken in the 1970's with St Margarets Motors in the background

press to zoom

Note the four old cottages where Stringers now stands

press to zoom
1/4