The four village farmhouses were Hillside, Challoners, Down House and Court House. Hillside may be found opposite Kipling Gardens and was the farmhouse for West Side Farm, which extended as far as Black Rock.
Hillside is a timber framed farmhouse. In 1724 Daniel and Susannah Beard refronted it with brick and a Tuscan porch, marked by their initials ‘DBS’ over the door.
In the garden, steep steps lead up to the 1822 gazebo overlooking the Falmer Road to Lewes and any approaching coaches! By contrast steep steps lead down to extensive cellars below the house. These have a walled-up tunnel which would have connected to other properties for smuggling purposes.
Click on any image below to view