Built in 1619 by George Beard the house remained in the Beard family until 1702. While home to Nicholas Beard the house often hosted Quaker meetings which sometimes resulted in Nicholas being imprisoned at Horsham Gaol.
In 1750 the house was refaced with a Georgian front of square knapped flints and a fine doorway.
With Hillside, Court House and Challoners, Down House was one of the four farmhouses of Rottingdean, being the base for East Side Farm.
The House passed through many hands including Mathew Bourne the miller at Bazehill post mill, Mrs Dealtry a wealthy spinster and further members of the Beard family.
In 1908 Seaburne Moens established a private school which continued for forty years.
Click on any image below to view