Challoners is probably the oldest house in Rottingdean as it can be traced back to 1456 when it was conveyed to Thomas Chaloner.
Only the cellars of that first Manor house remain, the present house dating to the 16th Century when it gained its Horsham slate roof.
The Beard family who were Quakers lived here for 300 years during the 17th, 18th and 19thCenturies. They farmed the land and employed many of the villagers.
Some of the workers lived at Northgate and Challoners cottages, jncluding the folk singing Copper family
The large window over the porch is known as The Trafalgar window as it was built in that year.
Click on any image below to view