Bazehill Post Mill
Bazehill Post Mill
This item was sent in by Mr Justin Brice after contacting us through our Facebook page.
We are most grateful to Mr Brice for allowing us to publish his account of the history of the mill on our site, and he has asked us to point out that the information on this page was extracted from the Simmons collection of records relating to British Windmills and Watermills, compiled by H.E.S. Simmons:
This post mill stood at the top of the road formerly known as “Dudeney’s Hill”, but now known as Bazehill Road, on the south eastern side.
This evidently the mill referred to in V.C.H. 7 which, speaking of the present smock mill at Rottingdean, says “It may have belonged to a tenement called Challoners which for a long time belonged to the Ockenden family, for in 1616 Richard Ockenden and his wife Barbara sold it, with land in Rottingdean to Richard Scrase (Feet of Fines). It afterwards passed to Charles Geere, owner of Balsdean Manor, who by his will in 1740 excepted this windmill from a bequest to his wife Elizabeth of all his freehold and copyhold land”...(cont)
If you wish to read the full account you can download it by clicking on the left hand button below marked File Download which is below the picture of the mill field taken by Mr Brice in March 2017.
The 1824 "Inn on the Green" sketch on the right is from rggj.net
The Green with the Inn: The green was formerly called Welfare's Green after a former landlord of the White Horse Hotel. The view looks towards the old King of Prussia Inn, subsequently named the White Horse Hotel and demolished in the 1930's to make way for the present hotel of the same name. Note the old post mill in the distance that stood on the east side of the village at the top of Bazehill Road. This was demolished in 1818.
Click on image or File Download to view